Ahtopol (Greek: Αγαθούπολη) is the southernmost city on the Bulgarian Black Sea coast. It is located in the municipality of Tsarevo, District Bourgas, near the border with Turkey and has a population of 1444 people.
Ahtopol is situated on a rocky peninsula on the Black Sea and the foothills of planinataStrandzha. Located 14 km south of Tsarevo and 5 km north of the estuary Veleka. The city is part of the Natural Park "Strandja".
The site of today Ahtopol existed settlements from the Neolithic and Iron in epoharayonat is inhabited by the Thracian tribe slimes. As Ahtopol was founded around 430 BC by Greek colonists from Athens, assuming that its foundation is related to the actions of Pericles in the coastal areas. The city became a center of trade, as it minted coins. After the barbarian invasions from 5-7 century, the town was rebuilt by the Byzantine commander Agaton, who called Agatopol.
In the Middle Ages Agatopol repeatedly incorporated into the territory of Bulgaria. Inscription of Krum of 812g. reported conquered, later conquered by the king Todor Svetoslav in 1304 Around 1389, twenty years after the conquest by the Ottomans in Edirne, Edirne Diocese moved its headquarters in Agatopol. A little later the city also was conquered by the Ottomans. In the 17th century it was mentioned as the seat of a bishop.
In the early 20th century citizens of Ahtopol have 45 ships, three of which have a displacement between 1000 and 3000 tons. At the outbreak of the Balkan War in 1912 two people from Ahtopol volunteered in the Macedonian-Adrianople volunteers. After the Balkan Wars (1912-1913) the town was annexed to Bulgaria. Its Greek population was displaced, and his place settled Bulgarian refugees from Eastern Thrace. In 1918 Ahtopol is almost entirely destroyed by fire by burning old cathedral "Assumption". The modern town was built anew after the fire. In 1926, there were 1,095 inhabitants.
Refugees from Ahtopol based village Nea Agathoupoli (translated New Ahtopol) in Pieria Prefecture, Greece.
Today there are church "Ascension" built in 1776, remains of the monastery "St. Yani" from the 12th century, parts of the fortification wall (in places reach 8 m high and 3,5 m wide). Near the peninsula are the remains of Thracian wall. The city has a historical museum.
During the 40s and 50s the city was final rail station in Ahtopol - Brodilovo - Bones, dismantled in the 50s due to the view that it was ineffective.